Friday, August 31, 2012

Adulthood is What you Make of It.



Really?!?


I've seen a lot of things lately on the meaning of adulthood. Articles, blog posts, etc. - it seems to be coming at me from all angles. So it got me thinking - am I supposed to feel different than I did before? Should I feel like the guy in the cartoon above? I certainly don't think so!

Now, don't get me wrong - I know that I am single, living in a big city and don't have children, so my perspective is a little different. But I also know that there are responsibilities that I have that I didn't have as a child. I have a career and finances to manage, household things that I need to take care of and other obligations that by definition make me an adult. But to me, I still feel like a kid - just with more life experience. 

Two great examples as of late:

  • I recently spent a weekend in Cleveland with one of my best childhood friends, Megan. She's a doctor by the way - talk about responsibility! But, our weekend was full of things we used to do as teenagers - including a trip to Cedar Point, where we spent the day riding roller coasters and screaming our heads off. It was an absolute blast, and it almost felt like we were our 15 year-old selves again. 
  • And just this morning I caught the reunion of the Backstreet Boys on Good Morning America. Let's just say that my school-girl self resurfaced while watching them perform! Anyone who knows me knows that, as a teenager, I was a HUGE boy band fan and went to every concert I could get tickets to (and you can bet that I will be enjoying one again when the boys tour next year)!

So yes, I am 30 and I am, in fact, an adult. But does that mean I should be tired all the time, grumpy and jaded with life? No. Obviously I have had my bouts of feeling down about getting older (as we all do) but I realize that it's SO important to focus on the other side. See the humor in life, take the time to be goofy and don't take yourself too seriously. And though we may be identified as a grown-ups, it's essential  to realize that it's what you make of your years that define you - not your age.


No comments: