Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Perfect Sunday.

After waking up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, I decided to snuggle in on this cool summer morning and take in my usual Food Network shows to cheer me up. For those of you who know me well, they are like my cartoons, and even if I won't eat most of what the chefs cook, I still love to be taken into the world of food on my weekend mornings.

While laying in bed, clutching my coffee cup and watching Giada prepare sushi, I became enamored with the fact that her herbs are always so pretty, creating a small green bouquet on her countertop. For some reason, whenever I buy herbs, I leave them in their supermarket bag, only to have them fade into the back of my fridge, forgotten and often spoiled. It was in this moment that I realized that I should enjoy the beautiful day that had risen on me and go in hunt of something pretty to serve the same purpose as Giada's container. So began my adventure with myself.

I'm not one for public transportation when it's not necessary, so I knew that I didn't want to go anywhere that would warrant a bus ride back and forth. Thinking back to the neighborhoods I have visited in this vast city, I decided upon the Brown Elephant on Halsted and Waveland as my destination. Hopping the 36 bus, I was there in 15 minutes, amongst all of the other thrift-shoppers who decided it was time to hunt for a bargain. I headed straight for the back corner where the glass and dishes were strewn about on several different shelves. It only took me about 5 minutes to find the most adorable green glass vase. In the process I also found a little milk-glass teacup. What I would use it for, I wasn't sure, but I knew that both would serve their purpose in my home. About 10 minutes later I was out the door after only spending $2.50 on both items!

The rest of my afternoon was marked by a long walk home consisting food shopping and the happy surprise of shoes! I wandered across the street after the Brown Elephant to Whole Foods. While I don't shop here often for obvious reasons, I just had to stop in. Let me tell you I came out with several goodies! I've had this crazy idea to attempt eating Vegan for a week, thinking, "it won't be an issue at all." I discovered while wandering around the store that it's quite the opposite! And as I thought about what I eat on a daily basis, it's probably not attainable or logical given my already restricted diet. But, there's no reason I can't try to make something healthy and vegan from time to time. That's when my idea for a quinoa salad came into play. I've never had quinoa, but have seen it on many a food show. Given it's nutritional qualities I thought that it was time to try it. Green beans we also gleaming at me (and on sale) so I picked up those as well. I also bought quinoa pasta that I'm going to experiment with later this week - I'll be sure to let you know how that goes! Anyways, my creation took formation as I perused the shelves of Whole Foods and stopped for produce at my local market on my way home. Check out my Sunday dinner - Quinoa salad with green beans, tomatoes, white beans, parsley and a lemon dijon dressing. Light, delicious and vegan to boot.


Also, I just had to share my beautiful bouquet of parsley that now sits in my fridge. It definitely won't be ignored! Lastly, the teacup is just too cute not to post.





Hope you all had a great weekend and enjoyed your Sunday as much as I did. :o)

No comments: