Friday, May 11, 2012

Party Planning 101 - Every Dollar Counts.


There's a saying that goes, " A day late, A dollar short." Since I am indeed behind on this post I thought it would be the perfect introduction in to today's party planning topic.


This Week - Budgets!

I know this isn't a topic that's of much interest to people, as I know that the budgeting process at my 9-5 illicits headaches and groans throughout the company. However, the budget, and how you keep track of it is KEY to your party's success and you/your clients' bank account.

Worksheets and resources run the gamut around the web, but my approach is to use a simple spreadsheet method to keep my budget organized, creating a simple tabbed layout that's separated by different aspects of the event - so you can keep track of each area and adjust easily if needed. Then, I add one final tab that brings all of the costs together in one place.

I suggest creating the following tabs:
 
  • Venue - here you can add the main rental costs, any licencing/permit fees, and any staff you might be utilizing that go above and beyond the baseline cost.
  • Food - clearly this is the catering budget, but make sure to keep it separate from the venue tab, even if the venue supplies catering on premises.
  • Beverage - If you create a beverage package where it's a certain fee per person, this section will become a lot easier!
  • Decor - themed decor, lighting, any linen, tent or rentals (chairs, tables, etc) are found within this tab
  • Music/Entertainment - DJ and lighting costs fall within this section.
  • Invitations - design, postage and printing
  • THE FINAL TAB to bring it all together - This is where you'll place each section's total costs to create your total party budget.

I consider this a fool-proof way to track costs for parties, and I think this could apply to weddings and larger events - you'd just need to add more tabs!

Ok, enough business speak for today! As we head in to the weekend, I hope that you have some fabulous plans ahead of you - we're off to a great start here in Chicago!

No comments: